Friday, September 4, 2009

Just Call Me Elvis Cuz I'm All Shook Up

In light of recent events, especially the death of our beloved pony, I feel like I'm on the Viper super-roller-coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain. There's no question that this will take a lot of time to heal, but I am sick of feeling like I have no control over anything, and I'm also tired of being depressed every minute. So I am hereby making a pledge to be nauseatingly Pollyanna-like, even if for a few minutes.

Point One: There are fires raging out of control here in Southern California, and we moved our horse business just in the nick of time. Where we are now is nicer and smoke free. Where we were is now less than a mile from the front line of the fire's northwest edge. I can't tell you how happy I am about that.

Point Two: No one at my day job got a raise this month, which is usually when we do this sort of thing every year. However, we still all have jobs that pay well, and no one got laid off. That's a big deal right now when many firms in the CPA world are laying off 20% to 30% of their staff.

Point Three: When paying my bill this month, I found that I have over 3,000 rollover minutes on my cell phone plan. Wow! I can now bore everyone I know with endless trivia talk to anyone I like for as long as I want. That was a cool find.

Point Four: It is now the beginning of a three-day-weekend. Yay! Sleep late, spend time at the barn, work horses, and veg on the couch afterwards. I am looking forward to that.

I think that's as much as I can do right now. I hope you and yours have a safe and fun holiday weekend. Got any fun plans?

2 comments:

  1. Never underestimate the Power of the Veg. Gives you time to blog, too. And there's a lot of Job Gratitude going around. Nothin' wrong with either of those, as far as I can see. I'm home alone today for a change, and I'm trying to assuage my guilt feelings about Doing Not Much Of Anything by planning a nice dinner. Tomorrow I'm back at The Rock. Sigh. I feel like, in another life, I was meant not to work....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never feel guilty about the less-than-busy day. Just call it "time to recharge my batteries" (or some other cliche-ridden phrase). It's nice to have a bit of down time. I hope the dinner turned out as planned. We had a nice weekend topped off with a meal at our favorite BBQ place, with enough pulled pork to choke an elephant. It was lovely.

    I was never meant to work for someone else. Even if I had endless money, I would still be doing the horse business 10+ hours a day. I just don't sit still well for any length of time...

    ReplyDelete